Monday, January 4, 2010

January 2010

January can be so tough. It actually snowed enough that we had to pull out boots today and brush off the car. It was cold outside and it was cold inside. Everyone went back to work and school today. Everyone I talked to, read about or heard from was tired!

I have planted myself on the couch and I seem unable to do anything productive. I am so tired it almost hurts. We had company for the last 5 days and we had more fun than we could have planned for. It was hard to see everybody go but it is also good to have the quiet and the calm now. Hopefully I feel rested sometime this year, I mean this week!

I have started the countdown now that the holiday is over. I have a colonoscopy coming up on January 22. Everything about this will be different. I have a new doctor who does this in a hospital (my old doctor was able to do these things in his office). I don't like hospitals much. My new doctor prefers a different type of prep. I used pico salax last time and it actually wasn't too bad. I had to use it twice, once in the morning and then at dinner time the day before the test. It did what it was supposed to do but I didn't have to drink gallons of yucky tasting stuff. This time I have to drink gallons of yucky stuff. I know that the colonoscopy won't really be all that bad. I will take the drugs and drift away and they will check me out and then I will know what kind of shape I am in and that will be good since I don't trust my own judgement anymore unless I am bleeding. I really just have to deal with change here because the test itself is a good thing.

I have continued to have sporadic pain, discomfort and sometimes I feel like "I need to go" and I can't. Other times I have to go! I am still fighting the fungal infections and despite the medicine that has been prescribed to me (nothing very strong as my g.p. feels they will destroy my liver) I have made little progress. I don't think I have lost any weight but I am hungry all the time and I am craving things like chicken and potatoes not chocolate and snacks. I am either so tired that my body needs extra fuel or I am starting to have absorption issues.

5 comments:

  1. I remember the first time I had a colonoscopy, I was so scared...but then afterwards I couldn't remember anything and I thought, "Huh. That wasn't so bad." A lot better than the annual woman's exam, in my humble opinion. Drinking the stuff is so gross, I hope it is not too bad for you. I know what you mean about feeling tired. Everyone around here too. Can you believe I am already wishing for spring? Anyways, when you have your next appointment you might want to ask them about a Vitamin D deficiency. It can cause fatigue and other problems and is extremely common in the winter months. A blood test can find out if you are deficient and it is way easy to correct. Hope you feel like running a marathon soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, sorry I forgot to say the reason I mention the Vitamin D thing is because UC can also mess with the absorption of vitamins including D and then with it being winter and possibly not getting as much Vitamin D from being in the sun can make for a real shortage which could lead to feeling tired and having cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great point Skinny Girl. The truth is that I take a multi-vitamin, calcium and vitamin D every day. All together I get over 2000 IU of Vitamin D which is what my scientist partner informs me is a good amount. I have been taking Vitamin D for a couple of years (scientist partner studies the stuff) and the others since I got sick. I also know that the women in family tend to shrink so I figured the Calcium was a good idea even if I was healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you take care and good luck with the colonoscopy....summer is just around the corner :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for taking the time to comment, I was posting on skinny girls page too about how its nice to find other people who are dealing with similar things(even though its not the most fun thing we are living with).But It helps to read other peoples experiences. I hope that all goes well with your colonoscopy and that the tests come back with good news I look forward to continuing to read your blog. All my best

    ReplyDelete